Saturday, September 1, 2012

Two Worlds Diary: Session 1


                My name is Elexis Whisper. I hope that the eyes scanning this page are my own as I nostalgically reminisce about my successful venture years down the line; preferably from the comfort of my own home. However, I am not naïve enough to ignore the likely possibility that this journal was found amongst my remains. If that is the case, then I have a good idea who is reading this, and I am sorry for failing you, hon.

                However there is business to attend to now and I would not want the final impression of Elexis Whisper to be that she was a woman who did not understand the importance of the matter at hand. I write this journal to catalogue what I imagine will be a very pivotal ordeal in this world’s history on the hope that this record can provide some source of knowledge and insight. Or I am overreacting. I do have a fondness for the dramatic after all.
                I suppose like any good story I should start from the beginning. My morning was like any other: I met with DS to discuss any pressing business and sort out the day’s matters. I was to have a discussion with Father Garvil over at the Church of Ardent regarding the sensitive issue of slavery within our fair city of Freeport. It was a simple conversation about the hope of some divine intervention remedying this blight on our poor city, and afterwards I hurried back to the Safe Travels Inn for my performance that evening. My set was purposely shorter that night as I had a prior engagement planned with DS, but my night took an unexpected twist once that Stormsoul Genasi caught me at the bar.
                Geddon Shakai was his name, though his presence was far more memorable than even his exotic name. I could see the weight in his eyes, and that was before he told me what he saw. He was a soldier from up north in Stormguard with a particular emphasis on was. Apparently the Del-Hi have returned and obliterated Stormguard and her army. He is, to his sole report, the only known survivor of the attack. To survive such an encounter suggests Geddon is either incredibly powerful, or incredibly lucky. Either way, we are extremely fortunate that a man of his talents survived. He appears to be someone of great arcane talents, though he must blend it together with a more traditional style of combat judging from the armor and weapons he carries. I likely would not realize he had any arcane talents at all had he not used prestidigitation to conjure up images of the monsters he faced during the Invasion of Stormguard.
                Monster does seem the most appropriate fit for what he showed me. They are clearly not of this world, and if the general public were to see what Geddon saw then all of Freeport would succumb to hysteria. That is why I will be deliberately lacking in detail here. Suffice to say, if the Del-Hi truly pique your curiosity, then you can research them. Otherwise, there is a very good likelihood you already know what we are dealing with.
                I urged Geddon to stay at the inn for the evening so I could discuss this news with DS over dinner. He was aware of the Del-Hi’s return, but was also privy to the knowledge that spies for their forces had implanted themselves among Freeport’s citizenry. He went to show me one such example of this espionage, but it seemed the spies were well aware of our prodding. They attacked without pause for a chance at diplomacy, though I fear it may be more likely that these monsters cannot comprehend that notion. Maybe I am being biased, but I experienced what they can do first hand and I do not hesitate to denounce these fiends as inhuman.
                They bore a familiar shape to a man, but there was no flesh or blood—only a thick, impenetrable black smoke imprinted with malice. I hate to admit it, but I was powerless before them. My spells had tremendous difficulty penetrating what form of mind they possess, and even when my magic did take hold it seemed they barely paid even a passing effect to what damaged them. Worse than that was how they attacked. I was scratched by one of their ebony claws and I felt the cold invite of death in the wounds it left. After that, I was assaulted by one and snatched into its’ gaseous form. My memory becomes a little bit hazy at that point, but I can remember the smoke forcing its way through my mouth and noise as it began to suffocate me. I could not escape either as I lacked the agility or sheer strength to break its’ hold. I likely would have died right there had DS not managed to save me from an early grave. He had wanted to show me the severity of our situation, but I doubt he figured the display would end up as effective as it did. I will likely carry the scars of that battle in my mind far after the physical blemishes fade away.
                It was clear that these monsters had to be dealt with, but our knowledge of the situation was very limited. We would need to investigate the only known source of the Del-Hi—Stormguard. Geddon had mentioned that he was looking for resources to help him return to his homeland on the hope of finding survivors, and DS suggested that I lend my services to his mission as a diplomat, information broker, and skilled healer. However, this task would require soldiers as well, and DS directed me towards two potentials candidates. I told him I would pursue those leads in the morning after a long hot bath to cleanse my wounds and clear my mind.
                The next morning I returned to the Safe Travels Inn to meet Geddon, but my new Genasi ally was not alone. He was already joined by a Half-Orc, Malik Falkner, who apparently pledged to join this mission last night. Malik is an interesting fellow. He has apparently lived with Thoril, the kindly Goliath who takes in abandoned children in the slums, for years. Considering my close relationship with Thoril and his children I was shocked to realize I had no prior memory of Malik, though I do know there were some children too proud to accept my charity. He is definitely a blunt man and his origins from the slums are evident in his manners and taste, but there is a very pure strength that I sensed in his character. I do not presume to know his struggles, but I imagine he is a man whose strength was forged from his difficult upbringing. I am curious to know more about him, but for now it is enough to know he will be dedicated to our cause.
                After that we proceeded towards our first recruit only to bump into (literally I am reluctant to admit) a bizarre, foreign man by the name of Shen Long Feng. He was a traveler to our city, though I wonder if it was his bizarre clothes, dumbstruck expression, or persistence at finding a “Mission Persons Bureau” that was the greatest tip-off.  One might assume this would be a simple passing that would not be worth noting, but Shen was adamant about inquiring to the location of his master. From the description Shen provided, he reminded me of a gentlemen I overheard a while back discussing dangers to the north. After the previous evening’s encounter I learned not to assume a coincidence at first glance, and I ensured the monk that if he followed us he would undoubtedly run across his mentor.  Shen agreed, for which I am glad. He might be a tad touched in the head, but he is, if nothing else, earnest.
                The two recruits were going to require a bit more convincing. First was a skilled assassin from the city. The assassin, Halim, kills for religious reasons, but his zealotry is misguided propaganda fed into him by wicked men who seduced a child with lies so they could have a tool. Regardless of our journey I would have made it a duty to free Halim of his masters, but luckily his piety proved to be an excellent method to sway him to our cause. Halim may not appear like the typical assassin what with his ever-present grin and the song in his heart, but his skills are not to be disrespected. I cannot say I approve of the methods of someone whose purpose is only to kill, but I imagine such an unconscious desire to kill will come in handy in our sortie.
                The final recruit was a former slave by the name of Pallith Veldalkin, a rogue by trade. She had recently found herself with a collection of newfound free time after the unexpected death of her master, and I convinced her to join our cause with the promises of wealth and opportunity. I may have left out the part about going up against sinister forces the likes of which the world has not seen in ages, but it must have slipped my mind in the excitement. I would not have wanted to say something that would dissuade the rogue from our mission as someone of her exceptional talents would be invaluable. After all, she is a thief who managed to remain anonymous inside of Freeport for years, so her skills should be obvious. I will be cautious of her though—she has been seduced by personal gain before, and unlike zealotry and patriotism, greed is not an easy thing to manipulate.
                So there is our team: a diplomat, a fighter, a monk, an assassin, a thief, and the dutiful soldier whose job it is to now hold us together. I do not envy him, though he will have my support. We will be leaving shortly for our mission, but before I left I visited DS one last time. He provided me with a book that will allow me to stay in contact with him at all times, and a knife that will allow me to prove our relationship to influential figures across the continent. Both are very generous gifts, though perhaps his most lasting gift was the kiss on the hand he gave me as I parted. I imagine that for a man as reclusive as he, losing the only person he trusts for an unknown amount of time caused him to be rather emotional. I trust he will endure—or rather I know he will.
                We are preparing to leave in just a moment. Those of us native to Freeport are either saying good-bye to loved ones or handling other final business as needed. It is necessary and appropriate, though it does feel a tad defeating. I approached my matters as though I will be coming home in a few short months, but the possibility exists that we will not. Ah, I am back to the theatrical again. I will end this entry now before I start turning this into another one of my fantasy novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment