Monday, September 24, 2012

Two Worlds Diary: Session 4

Men like Garvil do not deserve to live. I do not say those words lightly as I consider myself a pacifist and I aim to find a diplomatic solution to all conflicts. I believe that we all have to decide for ourselves just how much sin we are willing to live with, but I have a limit to my tolerance. Garvil reminds me far too much of Draven. He uses a twisted reinterpretation of Ardent’s teachings the same way Draven would present himself the hassled yet noble savior. It all exists for the same purpose, and I refuse to see Halim cower in fear of a man who uses his power that way. Draven made the mistake of teaching me the art of conversation, and I will see to it that Garvil learns to regret teaching Halim the art of killing.
I am quite a head of myself, but it would feel disingenuous to the reader to act as though that is not the most pressing thought in my head. I bury the lead when it is convenient, but now is not the time. Still, this diary’s intention is to catalogue our actions. I will wait to address that crooked-grinned bastard when the time comes.
As stated before, the Vel-Ri have agreed to come with us to Freeport to open up an exchange between our two races. The historical significance of this moment is one that will never be forgotten, and I am honored to have been allowed to sit in on this world changing event. I met Queen Ariel for the first time, and it seems our races will be cooperating to defeat the Dal-Hi. A team will be sent to Trend to hopefully eliminate the nearby gates to prevent losing the heart of our continent, but our team will need to first travel to Tanifer to prevent it from becoming another Stormguard.
It would take some time to restock the Skyrider, so our party parted ways to handle individual matters before disembarking. Geddon was concerned for the state of my shoulder after the events to the north, so we visited the city’s barracks to find a recommended physician. The doctor, James Redfield, was described to us as “eccentric”, though I do believe insane is the correct word. They say “genius breeds insanity”, so if that is true then there is not another doctor on the planet I would trust over Doctor Redfield. By his diagnosis my shoulder will recover in a few months time should I keep it in a sling and avoid agitating it. The sling should not be an issue, but keeping my injury from being aggravated whilst fighting a war sounds an impossible task. To be fair, an injured shoulder is a mild wound to carry away from a war, so I should likely consider myself lucky for now.
After our meeting with Dr. Redfield I needed to convene with DS regarding our upcoming trip to Tanifer. It seems that there is unrest within Tanifer, and DS fears that the man currently pulling the strings, Cormat, would see fit to use me as a way to get to him. I know very little of Cormat, but if he is dangerous enough to get DS concerned then he is someone not to take lightly. Still, tens of thousands of lives hang in the balance so I cannot retreat at the possibility of a threat. DS is not pleased with my decision, but I will obey his requests to avoid associating with those he does not trust. With luck, my time in Tanifer will be brief. I have spent enough time in Tanifer to have enough bad memories I do not want to revisit. I do not need any more.
Most of our team lives in Freeport and as such returned to their homes and families, but Geddon and Shen are still outsiders in Freeport. I could have put them up in the Safe Travels Inn, but it felt rude to do so considering the dangers we have already been put through. I offered for them to spend the evening at my home, and they agreed. The boys were even sweet enough to make dinner. It was a fine meal and a very sweet gesture, though sometimes I worry about Shen. In combat he could break a man’s spine without a second thought, but I am absolutely terrified at what damage he could cause if left alone. I am also convinced that man was a Vel-Ri in a previous life because he has taken to their game of Jeng-Jong like a fish to water. It was a fine night of camaraderie whose memory will sadly be spoiled by the events of the next day.
We were all prepared to board the Skyrider and take off with the exception of a noticeably absent Halim. Together with Pallith and Malik I investigated the church of Ardent to see the normally jovial gravedigger somberly toiling at his labors. I inquired why he was not at the Skyrider per our arrangements, and he stated he had been refused permission by Father Garvil. I approached him and saw the bruises on his face. The moment I saw them my mind flashed back to hundreds of times I laid on the ground sobbing and bleeding from the mouth while Draven told me it was for my own good. I cannot comprehend a more awful feeling, and I instinctively embraced Halim to let him know he was not alone. He does not know how closely I understand his predicament. I will tell him when the time is right.
For the moment however we needed to get him away from Garvil. We first sought out Malik’s sister who works for the church, but it appears she was sent away to Ardent City for study. It does not seem Malik expected that, but I had a larger concern on my mind for the moment. I met with Garvil to discuss Halim’s release, and as expected he was resistant. He explained how Ardent’s word is interpreted through his lips and that his word was the rule of the law inside his church. It was hard listening to him speak and not hearing Draven’s voice. It lacked the care to cadence that my adoptive father had, but the fanatical egotism in his tone was pitch perfect identical. I suppose that is why I got as much enjoyment as I did out of exerting the influence I possess. Garvil begrudgingly yielded to my demands and Halim was released to return to duty.
Garvil promised I would regret interfering with him, and indicated he may yet have a trump card. I do not doubt he does, but I am not concerned. I have dealt with men like him before, and I will not submit to that fear again. If he wants to threaten me he is welcome to do so. I will see to it that the next time we return to Freeport Halim will be free of the deception that poisons his mind, and Garvil will be the one cowering in fear of the shadows.
I spoke with Halim again on the ship, and his mood already seemed to improve. I can admit I am jealous of his attitude. He can shrug off something that heinous and return so quickly to humming a jaunty tune as if nothing in the world was wrong. It may indeed be a flaw that has kept him from breaking free of his dependence on that bastard, but I envy that he does not require escapism and fantasy to forget his cruel realities. For now, I will protect him from that corruptive influence as I try to erode the defenses he has put in place to justify his punishments. I want to see Halim happily making his own decisions more than anything else right now, and the irony of coddling an assassin is not lost on me.
Before reaching Tanifer I met with Pallith and Malik regarding their personal matters. Our Drow thief lamented her lack of intimacy in past few decades and how she was finally looking forward to a night of passion until she learned of the illness of her companion. Pallith says the illness is not a serious one, but I will still relay this information to DS and see if she cannot be accommodated.  In the meantime I will also see about finding a suitable person to help relieve Pallith of her stress. Twenty years is a long time to go dry after all.
In far more serious business, Malik approached me regarding the murder of his brother eight years ago. It seems his brother was killed by five men simply for doing his job, but no culprit has ever been found. I sense this is not something the fighter talks easily of, and I am all too aware of the close bond that Thoril’s children share. I will relay this information as well to DS and see if we cannot track down the killers. I will admit to be honored that the crew has grown to trust me so readily with their problems. Solving these personal dilemmas for them should hopefully keep the team dedicated to the mission and unite us as a single unit. We will need that unity to survive the Dal-Hi.
We have arrived at Tanifer, and thus far no sign of Cormat. I fear it is only a matter of time until we cross paths however. Our inevitable meeting has been destined by the gate’s location beneath the city, and I have a very bad feeling about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment